Every Christian, by the command of the Church, must know at least: I. The four great truths of Faith. II. The Sacraments; at least, Baptism, Penance and the Blessed Sacrament. III. The Prayers, Our Father, Hail Mary, and the Creed, Of, I believe. IV. The Commandments of God and the Church. See St. Alphonsus Liguori.
Be very careful to learn these four great truths; because no one can go to heaven without knowing them.
1. How many Gods are there?
+ 2. How many persons are there in God?
Three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
+ 3. Which of them was made man, and died to save us from hell?
God the Son, the Second Person; or the Son of God.
4. What will God do to the good?
He will make the good happy for ever in heaven.
And what to the wicked?
He will burn the wicked for ever in hell.
II. THE SEVEN SACRAMENTS.
5. What is Baptism for?
It cleanses from original sin, and makes us Christians.
+ 6. What is Penance for?
It forgives the sins after baptism.
+ 7. What is the Blessed Eucharist?
It is the body and blood of Jesus Christ, under the appearances of bread and wine.
The above short answers on the principal Sacraments, are for those who cannot learn more, the four side crosses marking the answers least known + the answers of the catechism are below.
How many Sacraments are there?
Seven Sacraments: Baptism, Confirmation, Holy Eucharist, Penance, Extreme Unction, Holy Orders and Matrimony.
1. What is Baptism!
Baptism is a sacrament which cleanses from original sin, and from actual sin if we are guilty of it, makes us Christians, children of God, and heirs of heaven.
2. What is Confirmation!
Confirmation is a sacrament by which we receive the Holy Ghost, to make us strong and perfect Christians, and soldiers of Jesus Christ.
3. What is the Holy Eucharist!
The Holy Eucharist is the body and blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ, under the appearances of bread and wine.
4. What is Penance?
Penance is a sacrament which forgives the sins we commit after Baptism.
6. 'Yhat is Extreme Unction?
Extreme Unction is a sacrament which gives grace to die well.
6. What is Holy Orders?
Holy Orders is a sacrament by which bishops, priests, and the other ministers are ordained, and receive grace and power for their sacred duties.
7. What is Matrimony?
Matrimony is a sacrament which gives grace to married persons to live well in their state, and bring up their children in the fear of God.
III. THE PRAYERS.
1. Our Father, Who art in heaven; hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.
2. Hail Mary, full of grace: the Lord is with thee: blessed art' thou amongst women: and blessed is the frait of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.
3. I believe in God the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost; born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried. He descended into hell: the third day He arose from the dend: He ascended into heaven: sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty: from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy Catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and life everlasting. Amen.
IV. THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.
1. I am the Lord thy God; thou shalt have no other God but me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember thou keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor thy father and thy mother.
5. Thou shalt not kill.
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
7. Thou shalt not steal.
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods.
THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE CHURCH.
1. To do no work and hear Mass on Sundays and holidays. 2. To abstain from flesh-meat on days of abstinence. 3. To fast on fasting days when you are twenty-one years old. 4. To confess your sins every year. 5. To receive the Blessed Sacrament about Easter. 6. To help to support your pastors when you are able.
From The Purgatorian Consoler